We took a colectivo (a five man shared taxi with a set route) and drove the 20min outside of the town to find this neo-Gothic church that is built between a steep gorge.
The legend goes that there was once a woman, who in 1754, was trekking through the treacherous boulders of this area when she heard her daughter, Rose, cry from a distance that the Virgin was calling her. The women reported this incident to her superiors and the priests, that same year, made their first pilgrimage to this place. Construction of the church began later that year and the entire sanctuary with all its buildings was only finally completed in 1893. In 1954, Pope Pio Xll, granted the church the status of minor basilica. And finally in 2007 it was declared a National Heritage Site and the second Architectural Wonder of Colombia.
Pilgrims from all over the country flock here every year to pay homage to the Virgin to whom they attribute the miracles in their lives. We, as tourists, flock here to witness the magnificence of this great structure built between the harsh surrounding hills.